Who is the right candidate for IVF?
Infertility is a condition wherein a woman is incapable of conceiving even after trying for at least a year. In India, infertility is a social taboo in spite of a number of treatments available in the medical industry.
"In Vito Fertilization (IVF) is one of the most popular infertility treatment that has brought hope to the couples who want to experience parenthood. However, before opting IVF, it is imperative to understand the entire treatment and the pros and cons so that you can decide if you actually require it or not," says an expert.
IVF Treatment- A Perfect Solution?
IVF is a form of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) wherein the fertilization of the egg takes place outside the body and once the egg is fertilized, it is inserted back into the womb.
It is considered as the most effective and most widely used treatment to combat infertility. Despite its effectiveness, not everyone who goes through the process, conceive a child. It is a lesser known fact which is being cashed on by numerous fertility clinics and medical centers across the country. Therefore, one should have a fair idea of whether you are a right candidate for IVF or not.
Who Should Go For IVF?
One should understand that IVF procedure is not for every infertile couple. There are certain criteria and factors that determine if you are a right candidate for IVF or not.
- Women with Tubal Issues: IVF procedure is highly recommended for women who have certain issues like scarred, damaged, blocked and missing fallopian tubes.
They should go for IVF as the process bypass the tubes completely and is less invasive as compared to the surgical treatments.
- Women Struggling With Fertility Disorders: Endometriosis and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) are common fertility disorders that hamper the fertility in women. IVF gave them a fair chance to conceive successfully.
- If You Have Abnormal Ovulation Cycles: Many women have irregular ovulation cycle that restricts the fertilization process. Through IVF, healthy eggs can be used to cause pregnancy. Fertility drugs also initiate ovulation and generate healthy eggs which are then used in the IVF process.
- If Women Have Unhealthy Eggs: In this case, the women have to use donor eggs that can be fertilized successfully through Assisted reproductive Technology (ART) i.e. IVF.
- In Case of Male Infertility: IVF is an ideal option if your male partner is infertile despite being on fertility medications for a long time.
- Women Who Were Unsuccessful with IUI: Those who have been disappointed with the Intra Uterine Insemination or IUI procedure can go for the more advanced IVF treatment. When other ART treatments fail to succeed, IVF is considered as the best resort.
- Women with Genetic Issues: In some cases, women are susceptible to hereditary disorders; the Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS) gives a fair idea if the IVFembryos have any kind of chromosomal abnormalities. In this case, one can make sure that only the healthy embryos are implanted.
One has to understand that IVF is not a sure shot formula to conceive a baby. Women who do not want to use donor eggs despite having unhealthy eggs might not conceive even after repetitive IVF procedures.
Issues like fibroid tumors, ovarian dysfunction, abnormal hormone levels, and uterine abnormalities also inhibit the success of IVF procedure especially in women above 37 years of age as the egg production slows down.
Therefore, consult a good fertility expert who can guide you and suggest the right ways to go about it.